Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: 511E... factory or DIY?

  1. #11
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Old Guy:
    ...Kustom sold it in the seventies as the MF 1012, several years before it appeared in the EV line.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Is that what they ran on those 15" round re-entrant horns?

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member
    511E... factory or DIY?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    No Kustom had a big radial about the size of a 329. Cast aluminum, pretty sure Cerwin Vega made it. They had a smaller radial also CV with the 1823M and 2 T-35's in a box.

    Lows was a ripoff 4560 box called FLH.

    Frankly 1875 or so Kustom gear was better than Peavey. They changed owners like musical chairs.

    Kustom had 400 watt RMS rack mount biamplifiers in 1975. Crossover was variable 500-800-1000. I still have a couple, can't kill them.

    That re-entrant horn was earlier, different owner. Atlas I think. Maybe university.

    If ya wanna see something real weird, old Ovation PA systems. They had university horns with like 8-12 drivers on them...also 70's. Almost all have been stripped for components. Haven't seen a complete one in years.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I worked with a couple guys that were techs at Bud Ross' Kustom/Kasino plant in the T&R days. They did some innovative stuff. Gotta love that T&R sparkle...bassboats weren't even metal-flaked yet...

    Ovation never had the marketing to support their engineers (ain't that rare...). I've still got my '79 Viper from their brief foray into solid-body electrics, an LP-ish axe that plays like butter. Remember the Preacher, Deacon, and Breadwinner?

    '70's Altec publishing dept. personnell musta had some good stuff, but it probably paled with what Ovation's creative dept. musta been smoking.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Speaking of 329s did they all get recycled?

    Can't say that I've seen a single one advertised for sale in years.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member
    511E... factory or DIY?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    What was that Ovation that looked like an executioner's axe? I had one, regret selling it.

    Ovation was actually Charlie Kaman's hobby- his real money was Kaman Aircraft...he was quitwe a competent engineer in his own, in addition to being a decent business man. I believe he is no longer with us...

    If you are curious, just happened to find these...

    Kustom 4560 ripoff and CV hor/1823M driver.

    This is the cheaper one sans t-35's.

    23

    Kustom small 3 way horn loaded. 15" CTS, EV 1823m, 2 motorola 90 degree peizo's- not the bullets.

    Prollys old several hundred of these personally. We were the second largest Kustom dealer in the US in the late 70's- there was one dealer in Chi-town who was bigger. Sold so much I got a free weekend in Vegas, was bummed they took us to see Wayne Newton instead of Sinatra.

    Sadly for Kustom, my personall sales was usually several times there average dealer. Most mom and pop stores sold one PA a month, if that.

    24

    I really ould like to have seen Altec acquire Kustom during one of the changeovers, but Altec was fighting their own battles.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The things I can learn on a board that pays attention to details instead of a bunch of bull!

    Thanks for the history lessons!

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member
    511E... factory or DIY?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bfish:
    Speaking of 329s did they all get recycled?

    Can't say that I've seen a single one advertised for sale in years.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Saw a single on FeePay about 8 months ago.

    They never were very common.

    This seems to be an opportune time to bring up a question...

    Talked to a really old guy, retired Altec contractor. He insists prior to the 311-90 there was a horn badged just 311. It had interchangeable single and dual throats, according to him. He claims the 329 is the same horn with the dividers cut out.

    anybody have any idea if this is real? I have seen Altec lit with a picture of a 311 no suffix. I always assumed it to be just the 90.
    Would be curious to know Yea or Nay.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Old Guy:
    What was that Ovation that looked like an executioner's axe?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Breadwinner/Deacon.

    catalog2

    I shared your Altec/Kustom fantasy. Always thought it coulda worked. Lots of T&R cabs with Altec drivers was as close as it ever got.

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member
    511E... factory or DIY?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    The Deacon was it.

    miss that girl..

  10. #20
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's REALLY funny you say "miss that girl"...

    I recently finished repairing some damage to my Viper that occurred back in '80. After a heated argument with the girlfriend, I stormed out the door to leave. Before I got off the porch, my Viper came flying THROUGH the screen door, hitting me square in the back before the both of us tumbled down the steps.

    "And take your girlfriend with you!" was the screeched soundtrack for that scene...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.